Friday, November 21, 2008

Back on Top

Let's just say it's been a torrid few weeks... husband sick, (children crying), husband in hospital, (children whining), husband still sick at home, (children fighting), husband on the mend. And the stress of 24/7 solo childcare did not always bring out my best qualities... I do believe the phrase, "When is it my turn to get sick?" was muttered daily in the type of sarcasm reserved only for those who have just spent the last 2 1/2 hours wrestling toddlers into bed. One wearing cowboy boots. And a top hat. I lost my temper, lost my focus. Josh & Cara seemed to be in cahoots, their secret pact demanding that at least one of them be awake at all times. Awake and screaming whenever possible. More than once I mentally listed my options for returning to the workforce --perhaps with a full time job and also a little moonlighting on the side. The stay-at-home-mom gig can be tough at times-- and without the chance to rejuvenate, pure mental mayhem can seem a heartbeat away. Then I looked outside one morning and noticed the trees in my yard had turned barren, the once emboldened carpet of leaves was now crispy and brown. I had missed the best weeks of fall in my whirlwind of self-pity. Missed jumping in the leaves with the kids. Missed photographing them with the bright backdrop of autumn. It is a powerful thing to be reminded that with you rests not only the well-being and safety of your children but also their chances for happiness. Their behavior hadn't changed while their dad was sick, I was setting the household tone to one of impatience and stress. Now all the Trickles are feeling better --and are even more committed to maintaining a happy home. What a wonderful gift it is to be able to spend my days with my kids, screams, fights, top hats and all.

No comments: